Who We Are
BioTek Instruments, Inc., headquartered in Winooski, VT, USA, is worldwide leader in the design, manufacture, and distribution of innovative life science instrumentation. Our comprehensive product line includes:
- Automated Cell Imagers
- Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Readers
- Hybrid Multi-Mode Microplate Readers
- Multi-Mode Microplate Readers
- Fluorescence and Absorbance Microplate Readers
- Microplate Washers
- Microplate Pipetting Systems
- Microplate Stackers
- Automated incubators
These products enable life science research by providing high performance, cost-effective analysis and quantification of biomolecules, biomolecular interactions and cellular structure and function across diverse applications. BioTek espouses a “Think Possible” approach that sets the tone for fresh ideas, unsurpassed customer service and original innovations.
Dr. Norman Alpert, an internationally recognized expert in the area of cardiac hypertrophy and energetics, founded BioTek almost 50 years ago while serving as Professor and Chair of the Department of Physiology & Biophysics at the University of Vermont. As the company grew, Dr. Alpert recognized the potential for microplatebased assays in life science markets, and consequently, BioTek developed its first microplate reader in 1981.
We are the only life science instrumentation company with corporate headquarters, manufacturing, research and development, applications and service in the USA. Our company-wide commitment to quality and value is backed by our superior customer care, technical service centers, scientific application experts and a knowledgeable field sales and service specialists.
One World. One Team.
BioTek’s culture is unique; we’re as passionate about our headquarter’s beautiful northern Vermont location as we are about life science instrumentation. Each BioTekker is encouraged to contribute their opinions and ideas at work, and also encouraged and rewarded to participate in local community programs. Empowerments like these, and other mindful perks, keep BioTek employees loyal to BioTek much longer than the industry average. In Vermont, BioTek has received several community-based awards:
- 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 Governor’s Award for Outstanding Workplace Safety
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 Governor’s Workplace Wellness Award
- 2012 Best Places to Work
- Vermont Deane C. Davis Award 2009
- 2009 Waste Reduction Award
- 2009 Best Places to Work
Thanks to our highly skilled workforce, BioTek has also received numerous awards based on their growth and contribution to Vermont’s economy:
- 2015, 2012, 2011, 2008 Vermont 5x5x5 Growth Award
- 2009 Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year
BioTek has grown in response to customer demand, and we can now reach our global customers with localized, expert service and support in our offices around the world:
- USA - World Headquarters
- China, Beijing
- China, Shanghai
- United Kingdom
- South Korea
BioTek’s customer service and support are the best in the industry, and wherever our customers are, we are there to help.
Investing In The Future
A great advantage to being a private, family-owned company is that BioTek is not constrained by short-term, investor-driven financial goals:
- We can take the time to listen, understand and react to our customer needs; building the right solutions for the task.
- We are free to invest in the long-term future of our company and our employees.
One example of our continual long-term investment is our on-site Applications Laboratory. BioTek’s scientists partner with major assay developers to provide unique scientific applications and validation data, and also work directly with end- users at their location to evaluate the best possible application- specific solution. The fully equipped lab supports biochemical and cellbased assays; serving markets like small molecule drug discovery, biologics and biosimilars, life science research, biomolecule quantification, food and beverage, biofuels, and much more.
Every specialized BioTek department works together, and some directly with customers, to streamline scientific discovery processes with a fresh and unique perspective. Our expertise extends to:
- Automated Fluorescence
- Life Science Research
- Drug Discovery
- Clinical Diagnostics
- Manufacturing Technology
Our expertise, quest for innovation, and efficiency all combine to provide the best possible technologies for our customers – as noted by the examples of our technology awards below.
- SelectScience 2016 Scientists Choice Award (Synergy Neo2)
- 2014 Silver Edison Award (Cytation 3)
- SelectScience's 2013 Scientists' Choice Award (Cytation 3)
- 2013 MipTec New Product Innovation Award (Cytation 3)
- SelectScience’s 2012 Scientists’ Choice Award for Best Drug Discovery Product (Synergy Neo)
- Frost & Sullivan 2011 North American New Product Innovation Award for Workflow Solutions in Life Sciences
- 2009 Supplier of Choice Award (ThermoFisher Scientific)
Quality is Paramount.
- Product compliance to U.S. and International requirements is necessary from the design stage to final obsolescence.
- Products are directly or indirectly measurement traceable to the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
- Product designs are type tested to ensure safe operation per Underwriters Laboratory (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards.
- Most products are TUV-SUD marked for safety. based on these tests and ongoing plant surveillance.
- New and modified designs are tested for Electro-magnetic Compatibility (EMC) to ensure they will not interfere with other equipment, and can be expected to run reliably in customers’ facilities.
- The CE Mark guarantees this and other testing was successfully conducted.
- Software is designed, tested, and documented in compliance with FDA and ISO guidelines.
Our quality program extends to your laboratory as well. BioTek offers optional validation (IQ/OQ/PQ) and FDA 21 CFR Part 11 tools to ensure regulatory compliance.